In just about every industry, like any family, the holiday season means chaos with a capital ‘C’. Odds are your business is no exception.
Modern consumers have gotten pretty good at telling us what they want. In case of holiday package delivery, they want shipping information, a way to track their package and be informed of its whereabouts, delivery delay notifications, and package arrival.
SMS delivery alerts are a great feature you can advertise on your website that can make them feel safer and at ease.
What Do I Need Before Starting?
First, you need your customer’s phone number. You can follow these simple strategies to get it:
- For your existing customers: send an email with a link to their account settings page, where they can edit their delivery alert preferences at any time.
- For your new customers: add two fields in the registration form on your website – one asking for their phone number, the other asking them to agree to receive SMS delivery notifications.
In some countries, like USA, Canada, France, New Zealand etc. you need to include a way to unsubscribe (opt-out) from receiving notifications. This is usually done by including an opt-out keyword. Please check this on the web page of your national telecommunications regulator.
Whether or not they have a smartphone or Internet access, SMS can reach them. There are multiple options that can help your customers and your business:
1. Send Shipping Notifications With Automated SMS
Once the package has been shipped, you can automatically send an SMS message to notify your customer, as well as give them an estimated time of arrival. By implementing package delivery SMS notifications you will:
- Take a lot of pressure off your call center / support (fewer customer complaints)
- Improve customer experience & satisfaction by keeping them informed
- Get feedback for service quality to improve your sales process
- Have more time to focus on your business
Sounds interesting? This is just scratching the surface of what you can do with SMS delivery alerts.
2. Enable Package Delivery Tracking Via SMS During Holidays
To keep your users properly informed, you can set up delivery alerts to be sent a week, a day or an hour before the arrival of the package (or all 3), depending on preference. Being able to track the whereabouts of the parcel increases their trust in your company.
Imagine your customers from Russia waiting on a product they ordered from Nigeria, USA or Canada. The clients receive automated delivery alerts when the package reaches a different stage / touchpoint of the shipping process – for example, when it leaves the country it’s from, when it reaches the end-user’s country, when it’s in their county, city…
3. Deal With Holiday Delivery Delay Using SMS
SMS can also handle delivery delays – especially during the holidays when traffic gets hectic.
You can take it to the next level by also including information such as:
- Package delay reason
- New ETA
- Address of the pickup hub it might have been redirected to
- A notification when the package is on the move again.
- Link to the online form where the clients can confirm the new delivery time
Holiday package delivery SMS notifications and delay alerts may seem like just a cog in a giant machine – but for a smoothly-oiled machine to run, every cog is important.
Make a difference for your business and have it stand out in the holidays crowd by using this simple & efficient solution.